Today (Sept 23rd) we celebrate the Autumn Equinox which is known as Mabon in the Wheel of the Year. Mabon, like Ostara (March 21st-22nd), is a point of perfect balance, equal parts of dark and light. From this point the nights get longer and the days get shorter.
The Wheel of the Year showcases the cycle of the natural world and at this point, it is moving towards completion, the Sun's power is waning and from now on the nights grow longer and the days are are shorter and cooler. The sap of trees returns back to their roots deep in the earth, changing the green of summer to the fire of autumn, to the flaming reds, oranges and golds.
Mabon is a true celebration, it is the second harvest, the Fruit Harvest and it is the Great Feast of Thanksgiving. The grain was gathered in at Lammas and now it is time for us to enjoy the abundance of fruit and vegetables at this time. It is time to give thanks.
It's time to reap what you sow...
...but how can you use the energy of Mabon in your own life?
1. Pick the fruit that is ripe and ready. If you cannot get out to pick fruit, then buy some season fruit and make some jam or fruit pie. Celebrate seasonal fruit and give thanks for the access to natures rich abundance.
2. If you haven't had a big clear out since the Spring then this is the time to get to it. Take some time to have throw out what is broken, what no longer serves your needs and get organised. Donate what you no longer need to charity ot recycle what you can.
3. Get out in nature. Autumn is full of wonder and there is so much to see, don't let it pass you by. Get out and see the leaves change, look out for massive spiderwebs and much more. Be present and take it all in.
4. Complete those outstanding tasks. Check in on your goals and intentions, which ones need finishing, which ones need chopping and which ones need refining? This is a great time to do a personal audit and see where you are up to.
5. Mabon is a great time to get friends and family together to share food and to celebrate with a thanksgiving feast. The Summer has been so draining for so many, it is time to press the rest button. At this time we should celebrate our wins, let go of what didn't workout as planned and give thanks for what we have.
6. Make time for YOU. As I said in the above point, so many of us are feeling drained after the Summer and we really need to take some time for some self-care. There has been so much going on over the last few months and we really need to check in with ourselves and make time for what we need. Remember, self-care is whatever you need to give yourself some love.
Most importantly, even though we are celebrating the harvest there is more work to be done as it is time to plant seeds of new ideas and hopes which will lie dormant but nourished in the dark, until the return of Spring... start planting those seeds!!!