April is Stress Awareness Month. Getting a good night sleep is key to managing our stress levels and when we are rested we make better decisions and view situations with more clarity.
Here are six steps to sleeping better...
1. Have a bedtime routine. Try and get to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.
2. Go easy on the coffee throughout the day and try and limit your alcohol consumption.
3. Empty your thoughts into a journal. Make time to write about who you are feeling, what you need to do. Writing things down in a journal helps you to stop overthinking and gives you space to relax.
4. If you can, create a "sleep oasis" in your bedroom. A tidy space for you to look forward to retiring too at the end of the day. Make sure it is comfortable temperature wise.
5. Have a curfew for your devices. Turn them off at least an hour before bedtime to allow you to unwind. Take a book to bed and read instead of scrolling.
6. Get zen. Try meditating or doing a bedtime stretch. Use an app to tell you a sleep story or play soothing music.
Sleeping better makes you feel better and these simple steps may just help you drift off easier making the next day a better day.